Heading off to college for the first time can be a bit scary for new college students and their parents. During a recent appearance on NBC Boston, Maria Wood of Fashion Focus Program shared five tips to help college-bound students overcome their fears and navigate college successfully and confidently!
- Don’t lose your identity. Even though you’re going to a big campus with new people, stay true to who you are! Be authentic. Be genuine.
- Comparison is the thief of joy. Do not look over your shoulder at what everybody else is doing. Stay focused on yourself. When you’re worried about what everyone else is doing, you’re losing time and commitment to yourself. Don’t compare yourself to others.
- The world can sometimes be mean, and new people will judge you quickly. Do not internalize negative comments. It’s a good lesson in life: if somebody says something mean about you, it doesn’t mean it’s true. We have the power to deflect. Be resilient and be strong.
- Get involved. Help others. Do something for your community. Volunteering and helping others will help boost your self confidence, and it’s a great way to make new friends too!
- Confidence is not given, it’s earned. These are the days that will create your character, and make you stronger. Move forward, push through it and realize that mom and dad can’t make you happy. They can’t do this for you. YOU have to do it. So get through the tough stuff – you can do it!
And here’s some advice for parents of college bound students:
- Be strong in your conviction that you raised your kids right.
- Trust them. Trust is key. Continue to communicate with them while they’re at college.
- Be proud because your son or daughter is going to make you proud.
Watch the full NBC Boston interview with LaToya Edwards, Maria, and a panel of college bound students by clicking the image (for Maria’s tips, fast forward to 2:45 in the video):
An Empowerment Program Like No Other!
Fashion Focus Fall Program
September 11th – December 11th
Register now for our Fall Program for girls ages 5-18! The Fashion Focus Fall Program inspires girls to discover the beauty of their own self confidence. Choose weekly classes on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Saturdays (or switch up your classes each week). Make new friends in a space that’s supportive and celebrates you!
Busy schedule? Need to know more about the program before you register? Send an email to email@example.com and make an appointment with Maria. She’ll be happy to answer your questions and give you a tour of the studio!
Be the first to hear about our upcoming events!
Fashion Focus is a unique program designed to help girls discover and embrace their beautiful and undeniable potential!